Honeycomb or Rock Pockets are areas in the foundation where the creamy part of the cement has not filled in. These areas are characterized by exposed rock / aggregate where water can leak through. If these areas are not grouted on the outside of the foundation and then properly coated they can cause leaks.
Ways To Minimize Honeycomb:
- Vibrate the foundation more
- Use a wetter concrete mix
- Talk with your concrete company for more ideas
My New Foundation Has Honeycomb What Now?
- Have the Form Crew grout any honeycomb areas soon after forms are removed
- We can then patch over these areas with our Roller Grade Waterproofing material
- We may also embed a fabric strip for reinforcement
- The entire area is then coated with the rest of the wall
How We Fix Honeycomb in Existing Structures:
- We fill in the honeycomb with a hydraulic cement or grout
- We then do an epoxy or AquaFin coating over the affected area